Monday, October 17, 2011

LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

I am a young Malawian lady by the name Caroline Ndekwa Zgambo. I am twenty four years old. Grown and raised up in a typical village with full of traditional beliefs and odds that discourage and hinder girl child education. I have defeated the odds and now I stand as a role model to many. I am holder of a Diploma in Food, Nutrition and Livelihoods Security and currently studying Bachelors Degree in Community Development with Blantyre international University.
Carol speaking dring International Women's day celebrations  





I am the youngest employee of ActionAid International Malawi. ActionAid is a non profit making organisation which is operating in more than 40 countries in the world. ActionAid announced its arrival in 1990 in Malawi. Our organisational Vision is; A nation without poverty in which every citizen can exercise their right to a life of dignity by realising their social, political and economic rights while our Mission is; To work in partnership with poor and the excluded women, men, boys and girls to eradicate poverty by challenging and overcoming the injustices and inequity that perpetuate it. We are using Human rights based approach to development.

My Job, My joy
I work in Chitipa Local Rights programme one of the14 district ActionAid is operating in. The district is located in the Northern part of Malawi bordering Tanzania and Zambia. It was established in 2005  to facilitate an environment that enables women and girls to claim and enjoy their rights as dignified citizens of Malawi, by fighting injustices, challenging traditional beliefs and inequalities that have reduced them into a state of poverty and disempowerment. 
Women celebrating during IWD at Nsanje school ground


My work involves; Social Mobilisation and capacity building of People’s Organisations like Women Forums, Girls Clubs and mother groups. I also work with women living with HIV and AIDS to fight stigma and discrimination, working with school girls to ensure that they become achievers in life. 
 
Why social media
Social Media will help in shaping and building of a youth network in university and those out of school. This will be done using blogs, facebook and twitter. Youth will have space to discuss issues that are affecting them in education and governance. Youth networks leaders will be trained in social media basics so that they can use it effectively. Social Media will inform our communication strategy and this will improve involvement of citizens in decision making and programme delivery. Lastly with the advent of Social Media I can see direct engagement of people hence fighting poverty together and a better world will be achieved. It begins with you. ‘Let us end Poverty Together’, a better world for all is possible.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like I like I like.True activist and with an authoritative voice. This is good,I love it

    ReplyDelete